Diploma of Cosmetic Tattoo
Have you heard about the Diploma of Cosmetic Tattooing?
This very exciting and long awaited topic of the Diploma of Cometic Tattoo that will be hopefully (fingers crossed) be finalised and realised mid to late 2022.
If you don’t know already, there is a huge buzz in the industry at the moment around this new qualification. The reason we are all so excited about the release of this qualification is because it will mean there is going to be an actual governing body that will qualify artists in this field.
At the moment there is no formal qualification that you require in order to perform cosmetic tattooing. The only certificate you may need is your Maintain Infection Control certificate and you actually don’t even need this in some states in Australia.
So technically speaking, in some states, you can just train yourself on YouTube and then perform cosmetic tattooing without ever having done any hands on training. VERY SCARY!
Thankfully in QLD you do require a Maintain Infection Control certificate so at least you know how to minimise the risk of cross-contamination in your salon, if nothing else.
But this brings me to my next point:
Cosmetic Tattoo Courses & Training Centres
I personally have a bee in my bonnet about this topic because I feel that there is a lot of inadequate training being offered for a ridiculous amount of money at the moment.
In my research the average course for cosmetic tattooing is 5 days and costs around $8,000.
With this new qualification the most exciting part for me is that it will need to be delivered through a registered training organisation (RTO) and at the end of the course you will receive a nationally accredited certificate, and there may even be options for VET-fee Help with he government. Which means everything is legit
I should add here that there is currently a unit of competency offered by RTO’s that you can obtain that is nationally accredited which is “SHBBSKS003 Design & Provide Cosmetic Tattooing”, however it isn’t necessary for you to have this in order to operate as an artist at the moment.
Since this diploma will be delivered through RTO’s only, then a set timeframe will be outlined for this qualification and a typical diploma course runs for 1 – 2 years. Finally, we will have a cosmetic tattooing course that will teach you absolutely everything you need to know about how to start you career in this industry.
The Diploma Units
There are 9 units total that must be completed. 5 core units and 4 elective units.
- SHBBINF001 Maintain infection control standards
- SHBBCOS001 Provide cosmetic tattooing consultations
- SHBBCOS002 Apply knowledge of colour theory and pigmentology to cosmetic tattooing
- SHBBCOS003 Apply elements and principles of design to cosmetic tattooing
- SHBBSSC004 Identify the function and structure of skin and hair for cosmetic tattooing
- SHBBCOS004 Provide cosmetic tattoo for eyebrows
- SHBBCOS005 Provide cosmetic tattoo for lips
- SHBBCOS006 Provide cosmetic tattoo for eyes
- SHBBCOS008 Provide 3D nipple-areola complex tattooing
- SHBBCOS007 Provide cosmetic tattoo for scalp micropigmentation
- BSBSMB406 Manage small business finances
- SIRXMKT002 Use social media to engage customers
- BSBSMB403 Market the small business
- BSBSUS501 Develop workplace policy & procedures for sustainability
- BSBSMB304 Determine resource requirements for the micro business
- BSBSMB404 Undertake small business planning
- BSBSMB405 Monitor & manage small business operations
Depending on the RTO that you go to, some will offer different electives than others so make sure you do your research about which organisations offer the courses that you want to do.
I am so excited about the release of this Diploma and I can’t wait to see how it changes our industry and creates more reputable training centres that care for the wellbeing and success of their students.
If you have any questions, or would like to know more about diploma and how it may affect you as in artist in the industry or as an upcoming artist, please reach out to us via email, or on our socials that are linked at the bottom of this page.
Never stop learning 💕